KERRY’S EYE online

KERRY’S EYE online

KERRY'S EYE THIS WEEK - Published Thursday 21st May, 2014

Have you got a story

CONTACT OUR NEWS TEAM

Colin Lacey, Editor

Email:

Anne Pullen

Phone: 087-2357781

Email:

 

Sinead Kelleher

Phone: 087-9303061

Email:

Michelle Crean

Phone: 086-1023233

Email:

Aidan O'Connor

Phone: 087-1221759

Email:

Breda Joy

Phone: 087-9372542

Email:

Gordon Revington

Phone: 087-4187464

Email:

Kerry’s Eye welcomes views and opinions from our readers

Telephone: 066-7149200

Textline: 087-9111198

email:

 

 

 

 

 

The Headlines from Kerry's Eye this week

NEWS

 

Water breaks head for record levels

Thousands of homes all over mid Kerry are on course to have the worst year’s water service in living memory, with supply cut off or interrupted eighteen times - almost once every week - already this year.

The pipe network in mid Kerry is over 40 years old and is rotten. The only solution is to replace over 300km of pipes at a cost of over €30 million.

Major breaks in the pipe network are leaving homeowners without any water, and in some instances, when the supply is restored, the water isn’t fit to drink.

About 3,000 homes  in mid Kerry are affected - yet Kerry had one of the highest compliance rates in the country when it came to  signing up for water charges.

In fact, 90% of the county’s 53,500 households kept the law and signed up.

Last year, there were twenty major breaks in the mid Kerry water supply amid promises that the  service would get better.

So far this year, there have been 18 breaks - almost one a week - with water supply cut off on 16 occasions without  any prior notification.

It costs an average of €3,000 to fix a major break in the pipe network. Despite a €1.8 million investment by Irish Water to replace  part of the  network, the problems persist.

 

Lobster could land more films for Kerry

First it was Star Wars, now another movie shot in Kerry is making international headlines - after The Lobster, filmed last year around Sneem and Parknasilla, attracted rave reviews from critics at the Cannes Film Festival.

The film, starring Colin Farrell, received a standing ovation at its screening on Friday, and is now tipped to win the Palme d’Or - one of the most prestigious awards at the Cannes Film Festival.

A win could see the Kerry-made film follow in the footsteps of worldwide smash hits like Pulp Fiction, The Wind That Shakes The Barley, and Fahrenheit 9/11.

During shooting last years, cast and crew stayed at the Parknasilla Hotel, where much of the film was made.

Other locations nearby were also used, including the woods near Blackwater Bridge, the Black Valley and Barfinnhy Lake.

Locals also got the opportunity to take part in the action as extras and local schoolchildren were drafted in for one particular scene in the movie.

Manager of Parknasilla Hotel, Tony Daly, said the rave reviews at Cannes will be a boost to Kerry as a film location.

“It will definitely attract more films to the county. The reviews are terrific and anything out there with our name on it is good for the area. It is definitely a boost,” he said.

Kerry was chosen by cult Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos, after visiting the area prior to filming.

“They looked at a number of locations in Ireland but chose Parknasilla because Yorgos had visited Kerry previously and had an affinity with the area,” Tony Daly said. “We got lucky really.”

The winner of the Palme d’Or will be announced on Monday. The Lobster is due to be released in Ireland and the UK in the autumn.

 

Kerry may host two official 1916 events

The committee overseeing next year’s commemorations  of the 1916 Rising are considering holding a second  State event in Kerry, at Ballykissane Pier.

by Aidan O’Connor

Outside of Dublin, Kerry has the most significant and unique  links to the Rising and an official state  ceremony  - one of the few planned outside of Dublin - is confirmed for Banna to mark the role of Roger Casement.

A total of six public meetings have been held around the county, attended by Michael O’Reilly from the National 2016 Commemorations Office.

No other county has held as many public consultations on how best to remember the events.

According to Kerry’s 1916 Programme Co-ordinator, Kate Kennelly, a request has now been made to consider marking Con Keating and Ballykissane Pier near Killorglin with another official state ceremony next year.

Keating was one of four men on their way to Valentia to steal wireless equipment and to decoy British warships away from the Aud, the German boat carrying arms for the Rising.

But poor conditions that night forced the men to take a wrong turn and they drove off the pier at Ballykissane. They were the first casualties of the 1916 Rising.

 

Dingle Gin packs punch for Camilla

Dingle Gin packed a royal punch this week in Galway - when Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, sampled a cocktail laced with the Kerry artisan spirit.

“It tastes very innocuous, but it has a punch in it,” she laughed after she sipped the cocktail, dubbed ‘The Duchess’ in her honour.

Dingle Distillery MD Mary Ferriter and her staff are relishing the international exposure won by Camilla’s tipple during the royal visit with Prince Charles to the west on Tuesday.

“It’s wonderful promotion for us,” Mary said. “It’s just amazing. Our Dingle Gin is brewed in a copper still called Oisín.

“If this strengthens our sales, we will need a little brother or sister for Oisín.”

The MD said that the inclusion of their gin in the cocktail served up at the House Hotel was an example of tourism interests along the Wild Atlantic Way linking together.

While the gin is 42.5 per cent proof, she maintained that Camilla wouldn’t feel it because the quality of the Dingle water gave the drink a “gentle approach”.

Chief cocktail bartender Aileen Cunningham devised a concoction of Dingle gin, elderflower liqueur, Mumm champagne and a dusting of powdered lemon and served it up to the Duchess in a slim flute.

“Very good,” Camilla pronounced, having taken a dainty sip.

Dingle Gin has been on the market since December, 2012, when the Dingle Distillery opened its doors in a converted sawmills. It was launched on the US market last year.

 

Locals oppose plan for new waste facility

Over 40 residents living between Farranfore and Killarney are gearing up for a major battle with a private company over a planned waste factory bigger in size than Croke Park.

Kerry Central Recycling Limited plans to build the waste processing plant on a 13-acre site at Scart/Caherdean, where it will process 135,000 tonnes of rubbish every year.

When it’s built, the sheds will rise the height of two double-decker buses and cover an area 1.5 times the size of Croke Park.

The concerned residents fear that foul smells, traffic and noise will impact on their daily lives.

The group met this week to fine-tune their campaign and have hired environmental and engineering experts to help them stop the project.

Read the full story in Kerry's Eye or log on to the digital edition

 

Fitzgerald Stadium to be included in bid to host 2023 Rugby World Cup

Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney will be officially listed as part of Ireland’s bid to host the Rugby World Cup in 2023, it was confirmed this week.

Former Tanaiste, Dick Spring, is heading up the country’s World Cup bid team, and said that Fitzgerald Stadium will be listed as one of the stadia across the 32 counties being put forward as match venues.

Success in securing one of the  world’s largest sporting events would provide a huge boost for the country, Mr Spring said, and also for Killarney which “ticks all the boxes”.

“We’re talking about at least a pool game in Fitzgerald Stadium, and that would work very well.

“Killarney is the biggest tourist town of them all. It has  the hospitality, the infrastructure and the stadium itself. It ticks all the boxes,” Mr Spring said.

Der Brosnan, Chairman of the Fitzgerald Committee, confirmed that representatives  from Deloitte UK have already visited the stadium and met with him and the stadium’s Event’s Co-ordinator to assess the facility.

They also toured the area to assess the town’s capacity for a possible World Cup match.

The stadium’s current capacity is just over 38,000, which is slightly reduced in recent years following a safety audit by the GAA of  all of its main grounds.

Read the full story in Kerry's Eye or log on to the digital edition

 

Well-known beautician, Mary O'Donnell from Tralee, said footage of a mishap on RTE's Today Show last February resurfaced again on Friday - and the online abuse it prompted changed her life.

Mary was new to the TV slot, and nerves got the better of her when applying eyeliner to a model.

She was subjected to horrendous comments about her performance as the video went viral on Friday, and the bullying was even targeted at her accent and how she got the TV slot in the first place.

Mary took a break from the internet immediately, after being left “absolutely devastated” by the negative comments of keyboard warriors.

On Wednesday, she told Kerry’s Eye that the worst feeling was the ‘vile’ and nasty comments that were way beyond her control.

“The immediate reaction was isolation,” she said. “It was devastating. I watched Conor Doyle on the Late Late Show the week before speaking about the effects of cyber bullying, but little did I think it’d be me the following week.”

Mary, who has 12,000 followers on Facebook, put a note on her page that night saying she was taking a break from the internet for a while.

“At the time I was devastated because it’s the nasty comments that you can’t control,” she said.

Read the full story in Kerry's Eye or log on to the digital edition

 

IN THIS WEEK’S KERRY’S EYE:

Follow us on:

'Torn apart' by internet trolls

A Tralee business woman was this week subjected to vile online attacks by anonymous internet bullies, leaving her devastated and humiliated - and forcing her to quit the internet.

Council wants to catch more of us speeding

Drivers in Kerry are becoming too clever for speed vans parked at the same locations for too long, Kerry County Council heard this week - as councillors backed a motion asking the National Roads Authority to find new places for vans to catch speeding motorists.

Councillor John Sheahan said he knows of some locations where so many crashes have occurred, he’s constantly picking bits of cars from the road.

He doesn’t want more speed vans - he just wants them to move around the county and “not sit in one spot all day long”.

“People have contacted me, terrified by the speed of traffic on some roads. They’re afraid to  pull out the road.

“While I’m out picking litter on the road between Brennan’s Glen and Killarney, there’s not a time I’m not picking up some part of a car off a ditch.

“People have devices now that give them a warning of a speed van. But once they’re passed it, they put the pedal to the metal again.

“These people over the speed vans need to wake up and smell the coffee,” Councillor Sheahan said.

 

Council wants to catch more of us speeding

NRA to be asked to find new locations for speed vans on local roads

Drivers in Kerry are becoming too clever for speed vans parked at the same locations for too long, Kerry County Council heard this week - as councillors backed a motion asking the National Roads Authority to find new places for vans to catch speeding motorists.

Councillor John Sheahan said he knows of some locations where so many crashes have occurred, he’s constantly picking bits of cars from the road.

He doesn’t want more speed vans - he just wants them to move around the county and “not sit in one spot all day long”.

“People have contacted me, terrified by the speed of traffic on some roads. They’re afraid to  pull out the road.

“While I’m out picking litter on the road between Brennan’s Glen and Killarney, there’s not a time I’m not picking up some part of a car off a ditch.

“People have devices now that give them a warning of a speed van. But once they’re passed it, they put the pedal to the metal again.

“These people over the speed vans need to wake up and smell the coffee,” Councillor Sheahan said.

 

Retrial for man jailed

in body-in-bog case

One of the two men convicted of the murder of a Brazilian national in a North Kerry bog has won his appeal and is facing a retrial in the Central Criminal Court.

John Paul Cawley, of Ardoughter, Ballyduff, succeeded in his Court of Appeal hearing, while Wenio Rodrigues Da Silva, of the same address and also convicted of the same murder - lost his appeal and will continue to serve out his life  sentence.

Both men were sentenced to life in prison after a jury in Tralee found them both guilty of the murder of Bruno Lemes de Sousa in February 2012.

During the week-long trial, the jury in Tralee heard details of one of the most brutal killings to have taken place in the county.

Mr de Sousa was stabbed 64 times and left for dead in a dike in Tullamore bog. Before he met his death, the victim was hit on the head with a spanner, had his hands tied and was held captive in an attic.

De Sousa was driven to the remote bog, several miles away, and stabbed to death with kitchen  knives.

Medical evidence at the trial said that the injuries sustained by the victim were consistent with him trying to defend himself from the savage  attack.

Both men denied the charge of murder, but Cawley admitted manslaughter. His defence argued his case on the grounds of ‘diminished responsibility’.

In a number of interviews with gardaí, Cawley told how he was first to stab Bruno and went on to stab him a number of times.

He said he brought the knives to the bog that  night just to threaten him, and didn’t know why he stabbed him. He told gardaí he felt sorry for what he had done.

At a court  hearing in Dublin on Monday, Cawley was told that his appeal had succeeded after his lawyers argued that the trial judge erred by failing to adequately direct the jury on an aspect relating to rebuttal and burden of proof.

He was remanded in custody and is to appear on the list of court dates when a date will be fixed for his retrial in the Central Criminal Court.

 

Thugs launch golf balls at passing cars

Gardaí in Castleisland are warning drivers to be vigilant after a passer-by reported golf balls were being thrown onto the Castleisland by-pass.

The incident occurred in the late hours over last weekend on the by-pass road between the Tralee Road roundabout and the Dooneen roundabout at the top of the Limerick road.

It is believed that the golf balls were thrown from the flyover on Pound Road, just before the  Maum, down onto the by-pass.

No one was injured in the incident and no damage was done to passing vehicles however the local Gardaí are appealing to people to be vigilant and are treating the matter very seriously.

Gardaí responded to the report, however those involved had left the scene upon the arrival of the Gardaí.

A similar incident involving sandbags occurred on the Tralee/Killarney road in March and  Castleisland Gardaí say this is a dangerous issue that could have serious consequences.

They are conducting an ongoing investigation and are appealing for information. Any suspicious behaviour in the area should be reported to the Castleisland Station on 066 1741204.

 

 

CONTACT US

TALK TO A REPORTER

SEND US A STORY

ADVERTISE IN KERRY'S EYE

Contact us

Read Kerry’s Eye on your Android tablet, iPad or iPhone

 

KERRY'S EYE NEWSPAPER,  22 Ashe Street, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Phone: 066 71 49200, Fax: 066 71 23163, Email: news@kerryseye.com

Text Line: 087 9111198

ANDROID

Tablets & Phones

 Digital Edition

iPad

Download the Free App

from the App Store

Download the Free App

from the App Store

Not only can you read Kerry’s Eye on your computer

you can also read the full newspaper on your Android tablet, iPad or iPhone

 

 

 

Digital subscribers can also download the free Kerry’s Eye App from iTunes

to have the newspaper delivered to your iPad or iPhone every week.

 

 

 

 

 

           Wherever you are, keep Kerry with you

           The Kerry’s Eye Digital Edition bringing you the news from home every Thursday.

1 YEAR

SUBSCRIPTION

€50

  Sign up for the Kerrys Eye Digital Edition

iPhone

Talk to a Reporter

Colin Lacey, Editor

 

 

 

Anne Pullen

Phone: 087-2357781

Email:

 

 

Sinead Kelleher

Phone: 087-9303061

Email:

 

 

Michelle Crean

Phone: 086-1023233

Email:

 

Aidan O'Connor

Phone: 087-1221759

Email:

 

 

Breda Joy

Phone: 087-9372542

Email:

 

 

 

Gordon Revington

Phone: 087-4187464

Email:

 

 

KERRY'S EYE NEWSPAPER

22 Ashe Street, Tralee, Co. Kerry, Phone: 066 71 49200, Fax: 066 71 23163

Email: news@kerryseye.com  Text Line: 087 9111198

 

Send us a Story

 

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

Captcha Image

Advertise in Kerry's Eye

Brendan Kennelly

Advertising & Marketing Manager

 

Phone 0872591140

Email: brendan@kerryseye.com

 

 

 

KERRY'S EYE NEWSPAPER

22 Ashe Street, Tralee, Co. Kerry

 

Phone: 066 71 49200

Fax: 066 71 23163

Email: advertising@kerryseye.com

 

Catherina Cunningham

Advertising Co-ordinator

 

Direct Line 066 71 49229

Email:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eileen Curtin

Tralee and West Kerry

 

Phone: 087 2619023

Email:

 

 

 

 

 

Brendan O'Sullivan

Motoring and Farming

 

Phone: 087 227 3742

Email:

 

Tanya Allen

Tralee, Listowel, Abbeyfeale

and West Limerick

 

Phone: 087 6785469

Email:

 

 

 

 

 

Sean O'Keeffe

Killarney & South Kerry

 

Phone: 086 418 7454

Email:

 

 

 

 

 

Lisa Cloona

Castleisland, and North Kerry

 

Phone: 087 622 5383

Email: